Visiting scholars program 2011
The United Nations University- Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA) is initiating a Visiting Scholars Program. Through this program, UNU-INRA wishes to provide qualified scholars an opportunity to undertake research on topics related to the development and management of natural resources in Africa, to participate in UNU-INRA activities, and to contribute to UNU-INRA publications. The program is also designed to enhance the dissemination of UNU-INRA research and to contribute to the UNU-INRA outreach program.
UNU-INRA’s work focuses on sustainable management of Africa’s natural resources. Current program areas include:
1. Sustainable land, agriculture and natural resources management.
2. Biodiversity conservation, genetic improvement and utilization of indigenous crops and plants.
3. Collaborative governance of the extractive industries in Africa towards poverty reduction and sustainable management and
4. Green Economy and natural resources development in Africa.
Female scholars from Africa and abroad are highly encouraged to apply.
*d20/format for the submission of the proposal_unu-unra_2011.pdf
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS ARE EXPECTED TO
- have a PhD degree in economics, agricultural economics, natural resource economics, social science, environmental science, international relations, law or related discipline.
- have a good publication record.
- spend three to four months at UNU-INRA in Accra , starting from May 2011.
- interact with the staff at UNU-INRA.
- prepare one or more papers to be considered for publication in the INRA Research Paper series.
- present a seminar in their field of research.
UNU-INRA will provide a monthly stipend of $US1, 500 as a contribution towards travel, accommodation, medical, and other out-of-pocket expenses.
There is no standard application form. Those interested in this program should submit
- a written letter of application which includes the preferred period for the sabbatical.
- a research proposal not to exceed 20 pages (double-spaced), bearing in mind UNU-INRA’s current program areas, and
- a detailed curriculum vitae, including contact details and a list of publications.
Applications should be submitted electronically by April 15th, 2011 to firstname.lastname@example.org (applications will not be assessed until after the closing date) or by regular mail to the following address:
United Nations University- INRA
Private Mail Bag; Kotoka International Airport
Inquiries may be made by e-mail to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please see the format for the submission of the proposal in the document attached to this call.